Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Fresh Flowers


I have never been one of those women who needs to receive flowers. I honestly feel it is a waste of money to buy them, even though I appreciate their beauty. When we lived in Herndon, and the house was on the market, I purchased them fairly regularly because I thought it helped make the home appear more attractive. That is not something I would usually do though.

Here in Skopje, however, I found myself very curious about the little old ladies who sell bouquets in the parking lot of Vero. They sit in the hot sun, under a tiny patio umbrella, with buckets of colorful bouquets. Sometimes, they walk around the lot and I have been approached by them, but I could never understand what they are saying! I wondered how much they charge for their lovely flowers, so finally I had Chris ask. I was shocked to find out they are only 100 denar! That is the equivalent of $2.50 for a lovely arrangement full of beautiful garden flowers from their own homes. Sunflowers, marigolds, gerbera daisies, zinnias, carnations, and many more that I am unfamiliar with, beautifully arranged and bundled with string. In Virginia, I was paying at least 3 times that much for a bunch of less attractive flowers.

While I still feel flowers are unnecessary indulgence, here it is different. Here, by treating myself to a bouquet or two a week, I am helping to put food on the table of a needy Macedonian family who have found a creative way to support themselves. I applaud the fact that they are not simply begging on street corners, and are offering such a lovely product. I am happy to be supportive of them and the girls and I are enjoying the bright and beautiful flowers!

No comments: